How Should I Fill and Discharge Water from My Pool?

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Water customers should contact the Public Utilities Department at 540-434-9959 for advice on the best way to fill home swimming pools.

Most customers fill their pools from their existing water meter. There are other options, such as installing a separate water meter for your pool, having the Fire Department fill your pool and obtaining a "Water Use Agreement" upon payment of fee, or obtaining a fire hydrant use permit.

Due to the chlorine and chemicals used, pool water is contaminated and must be disposed through the city’s sanitary sewer system for treatment and discharge. Sewage charges are applied to all pool applications unless you qualify for an exemption. Qualifications for exemptions are determined by the Public Utilities Director.