Cross Connection/Backflow Prevention Control Program
Questions regarding the Cross Connection/Backflow Prevention Control Program can be answered by the Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
A Plumbing permit and a Backflow permit are required for any new construction, alterations, additions, and/or other types of plumbing work performed in relation to a backflow device in the City of Harrisonburg. If a backflow device will be installed as part of a Fire Protection permit, a Backflow permit will also be requred. There is no additional charge for a Backflow permit associated with a Plumbing or Fire Protection permit. A permit is not needed for testing the device.
In order to obtain a plumbing permit, the following information is required at the time of application:
- The manufacturer's specification sheet indicating the type of device and the ASSE information.
- The manufacturer's installation instructions.
- The owner's complete name, present mailing address, and telephone number.
- The plumber's or plumbing contractor's complete name or business name, present mailing address, telephone number, certification number, copy of state class "A", "B", or "C" contractor's registration number, and city business license number.
- Proof of insurance if not licensed as a Class A contractor.
- The appropriate fee made to the City of Harrisonburg.
Provided that there are no problems, insufficient information, or drawings, the plumbing permit will normally be issued within two days of the application. The permit is not valid until the permit fee has been paid, and the permit placard is posted on the job site.
Posting of Permit
The plumbing permit shall be displayed on the outside of the building or premises where it is plainly visible from the street, and shall not be removed until the final inspection has been completed.
Required Inspection Information
The following is a list of required inspections to be scheduled by the plumbing contractor, owner, or owner's authorized agent:
- Final inspection by a licensed third party backflow device worker.
- Report is to be submitted to the building inspection division.
- Water service shall not pass through the device until the device has passed inspection.
- Permit becomes void if work has not commenced within, or is suspended for, a period of six months from the date of issuance.