The City of Harrisonburg's Human Resource Department administers programs to attract, motivate, and retain an efficient and productive workforce. The Human Resource Department manages programs and services for a workforce of approximately 850 employees primarily responsible for providing government services to our citizens.
To design and implement policies and programs to attract, support, develop and retain a diverse and productive workforce. To positively influence the execution of human resource programs to create a responsive atmosphere that values and supports creativity, risk-taking, integrity and diversity.
Human Resources Department's services include:
- Providing employment;
- Promoting a diversified workforce;
- Developing training programs designed to meet the needs of the workforce by enhancing knowledge, skills, and abilities and preparing employees for future challenges and opportunities;
- Providing employee relations counseling to city employees to improve work relations and the work environment;
- Developing human resources policies to meet the needs of the organization while ensuring compliance;
- Administering a total compensation program which attracts applicants, maintains internal equity, competes in relevant labor markets, and retains high performers;
- Serve in a consultative role with city departments to meet the changing needs of the organization and population.
Full-time employees are offered a benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Benefits Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Retirement with Virginia Retirement System
- 457 Deferred Comp
- Paid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Assistance