Building Inspections

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Building Inspections Division

The Building Inspections Division of the Department of Community Development pursues quick and efficient review of plans and inspections for fair interpretation and enforcement of all State-adopted building codes and associated regulations, while educating the public and promoting safety.

Building Inspections

How to Apply for a Permit

Permit Types (List)

Contractor Information



Building Inspections

A building permit is required for any new construction, alterations, additions, demolitions, accessory buildings, swimming pools, and/or other types of construction, which will improve or upgrade any property in the City of Harrisonburg.


How to Apply for a Permit

Online: Submit applications, track and pay for permits online via the LAMA Permit Portal. If you are a contractor and need a registration code, call the Department of Community Development at 540-432-7700 or email See the LAMA Guide for more information.

Via email: Fillable PDFs are available for all permit types. Use the links below to access the permit applications. Permit applications may be emailed to

In person: Visit us at Community Development, 409 S Main St, 2nd Floor, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.



Building Permits

Trade permits are required for all electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. Trade permits are also required in addition to building permits for most construction activities.

Trade Permits

See the Permit Directory for all permits administered by Community Development.


Contractor Information

A list of approved contractors is available on the LAMA Permit Portal. The list is provided for informational purposes only, and contains contractors with current credentials for the contractor type in the LAMA permiting system. Community Development does not endorse any contractor, nor do we attest to the capability or competency of any contractor listed. 

To access the contractor list:

  • Click on Open Data on the lower right-hand corner.
  • Below the icon for Active Contractors click on View or Download. 

The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupation Regulation (DPOR) provides consumers with information on what to look out for in hiring a contractor and how to verify contractor licenses.

Contractors must have a DPOR license specific to their contracting specialty (Commercial/Residential Building Contractor, Plumbing, Mechanical, etc.) For information on becoming a DPOR licensed contractor, visit the DPOR website.

Contractors must also have a City of Harrisonburg Business License. Contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at 540-432-7704 for information on obtaining a business license. 


Contact the Building Inspections Division.


To report any problems with the links or other content on this page, please email