Zoning and Building Form

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

To operate a business in the City of Harrisonburg, you must first check with the Department of Community Development to inquire whether:

  1. The use is allowed, per the zoning district;
  2. The appropriate Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by Building Inspections.

Zoning & Building Form

Individuals interested in operating a business must complete the Zoning & Building Form [261KB]PDF icon before applying for your Business License with the Commissioner of Revenue. Please fill out the first page of the Form as accurately as possible and return it to the Department of Community Development, for review. Completed forms may be submitted in person to the Department of Community Development at City Hall, 409 South Main Street, 2nd Floor or by e-mailing the completed form to permits@harrisonburgva.gov

Once the Form has been reviewed and signed by the Department of Community Development, it will be returned. The signed form is required by the Commissioner of Revenue when applying for your Business License.

Please be aware, a signed Zoning & Building Form may not fulfill all the requirements of the Department of Community Development or the City of Harrisonburg to operate your business. 

PDF icon[261KB] Zoning & Building Form

PDF icon[261KB] Formulario de Zonificación y Construcción

Business License

All business and professional operations must obtain a business license before commencing operation in the city of Harrisonburg. A business license is obtained at that Commissioner of the Revenue Office. For more information visit Commissioner of the Revenue.

If the business license is for a home-based business, please complete the Home Occupation Permit Application instead of the Zoning & Building Form.

To report any problems with the links or other content on this page, please email Nyrma.Soffel@harrisonburgva.gov.