Did you know? Each Public Works Sanitation crew member physically handled more than 1 million pounds of refuse in 2019.
Toter trash carts improve the way Harrisonburg collects trash! The Toter system utilizes a Toter trash cart that attaches to a tipper plate, attached to each of the City's sanitation trucks, to lift the 96- or 48-gallon Toter trash carts provided by Public Works for use at each of the serviced addresses. The Toter program is cleaner, quicker, and has less of a physical impact on our sanitation workers. We know you have questions, visit the Toter-FAQ page to see answers to some of the most common Toter questions. Do not see your question in the FAQ's? Email your question to PublicWorks@HarrisonburgVa.gov or call the office at 540-434-5928.
Toter Flyer - English [388KB]
¡Los Toter están aquí! - Toter Flyer - Español [742KB]
Toter Flyer - Arabic [7MB]
The Toter trash cart program offers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Ease of use for citizens
- Improved curb appeal on "trash day" by making sure everyone has a large, uniform trash cart instead of placing bags on the ground
- Creating progress toward the City's Environmental Action Plan goals
- Increased employee safety by reducing the amount of lifting staff has to endure
- Cleaner streets and stormwater systems (thanks to enclosed, lidded trash carts keeping debris out of the City road and stormwater ways)
- Improved collection operations and efficiency
Clean Your Trash Toter