Application for Service

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

You may submit an application for water and sewer service in person or by mail.

If you decide to come in person, the Public Utilities Department is located at 2155 Beery Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.  You will need to provide the following information:

1. Complete application.

PDF[325KB] Application for Residential Account

PDF[378KB] Application for Residential Account (Spanish/Español)

PDF[304KB] Application for Business / Large Consumer Account

PDF[173KB] Application for Adjustments

PDF[136KB] Application for Meter Testing

PDF[202KB] Automatic Withdrawal Form 

PDF[202KB] Automatic Withdrawal Form (Spanish)

PDF[166KB] Automatic Withdrawal Cancellation Form 

PDF[390KB] Lease Agreement Form

*For PDF's with fillable fields - These forms may be filled out on your computer and then either emailed or printed to be mailed or turned in to the appropriate department. Fillable forms may not show up properly in all browsers. If you experience problems viewing a PDF with form fields, simply save the PDF file to your computer (right click the link then select "Save target as"/"Save link as") and open it using Adobe Reader.

2. Picture identification.

3. Show a copy of the front and back signature page of your lease.

4. Bring a Letter of Credit or pay the corresponding Security Deposit.

5. James Madison University students may use the Utility Deposit Application Program (UDAP) contract in lieu of paying the security deposit.

 If you are unable to visit our facility, you may also mail the above listed items to:

City of Harrisonburg
Department of Public Utilities
2155 Beery Road
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

Please allow sufficient time for your documents to reach our facility and give us a call at 540-434-9959 to verify that the information has been received and your work order has been scheduled.

Water and sewer services can usually be connected during business hours the day the application and deposit is made, or a day later. Water services are generally turned on during business hours. You do not have to be at home to be connected, but you are urged to have all faucets turned off to prevent possible property damage. The city service personnel may choose to leave your service off if running water is detected. This is to protect your property. However, if faucets have been left on in the house and your water service is connected, the City will not be responsible for any damages.


Utility Service Disconnection

Utility service disconnection is a simple process for our customers.  We do not disconnect the service the same day you complete the form. Customers are required to select a business day in the future. In addition, we do not disconnect services on weekends or holidays.  

PDF[404KB] Utility Disconnection Form


Security Deposits Required

  • Residential (Single Family & Duplex) 5/8" Meter (Owner) = $100.00
  • Residential (Single Family & Duplex) 5/8" Meter (Renter) = $150.00
  • Business (Including Apartments with 4 or more units) and < 3" meters = $150.00
  • Large Consumers with 3" or Larger Size Meter = $300.00
  • Refuse Only Accounts = $50.00

There will be a 50% reduction on the above deposit rates when simultaneously signing up for ACH and EBills for a minimum period of 12 months. 


Letter of Credit

You may submit a letter of credit instead of placing a security deposit.  Letters of credit may be accepted if they include the following information:

  • Letter must show sufficient timeliness in payment over the immediately preceding twelve (12) months from the date applying for service.
  • Letter must be from a major utility such as water, electric or gas.  Letters from a phone or cable company will not be accepted.
  • Letter of credit may be faxed to us at 540-434-9769.  Please call the office at 540-434-9959 to confirm receipt of the letter.


Utility Deposit Assistance Program (UDAP)

UDAP allows full-time James Madison University (JMU) students to have water service without paying a security deposit.  The UDAP contract costs $40.00 and expires on July 31 of each year. Students, who need water service after July 31 of any given year, must purchase a new UDAP.

If you wish to participate in this program, please follow the instructions below:

  • Participant must be a full-time, degree-seeking JMU student in good standing (no holds).
  • Purchase a UDAP contract online or at the Off Campus Life office located in Festival Room 1130 telephone number 540-568-6071.
  • Students participating in this program must come to the billing office at 2155 Beery Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 or call 540-434-9959 after purchasing the contract to arrange for service connection. The water account must be in the name of the UDAP contract holder.



In an attempt to cut costs and “go green” the Public Utilities Division is ramping up our efforts to encourage City water and sewer customers to enroll in Ebills and automatic bank draft.  EBills is a program where customer will no longer receive a paper bill. This allows the customer to receive same-day billing and provides Public Utilities with the opportunity to decrease postage for outgoing mail and reduces research time for return mail. Enjoy the convenience of being able to access your account at any time.




Automatic Bank Draft or Automated Clearing House (ACH) PDF[201KB] is also another program offered by the Public Utilities Billing Division. ACH payments are electronic payments made through the ACH Network where money is transferred from one account to another. Using ACH payments can help reduce errors, speed up the payment process and save resources. Because they are electronic, ACH payments reduce the amount of manually processed payments, paper, ink, postage and fuel to deliver the bills. So again, just like Ebills, this program is in the midst of saving the department a considerable amount of money.  This form can be emailed back to us at or you can drop it off at our office at 2155 Beery Rd. 


Having trouble opening a file link to an attached document on this page?

Free viewers can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below. More information about the viewers and file links can be found in our Site Guide.

PDF | Word Document | Excel file | Power Point