Last Updated: December 6, 2023
Fire Department Access System (KNOX®)
- The Fire Prevention Code of the City of Harrisonburg, Chapter 5 §506.1 requires a key repository (key box) for buildings where fire alarms are installed. Order online at https://www.knoxbox.com/richmond-va-msa
- The size and number of the KBB shall be determined by the Fire Marshal. Installation of the KNOX® key boxes shall be coordinated with the Fire Marshal's office that will determine the location with at least one box located at the primary fire department entrance (main entrance). However, depending on the complexity of the building, more than one key box may be required.
- All vehicle security gates shall be capable of automatic and manual operation, manual override via KNOX® Access Key Switch, or approved pre-emptive sensing device.
- No obstructions such as spikes or other roadway hindrances will be allowed.
- All gate installations and modifications shall be subject to a final field test by the Harrisonburg Fire Department.